A Quick Guide to Relief Programs

2-1-1 Virginia

2-1-1 Virginia

2-1-1 Virginia is the Commonwealth’s 24-hour information and referral service that provides access to free and confidential crisis and emergency counseling, disaster assistance, food, health care, insurance assistance, stable housing and utility payment assistance, employment services, Veteran services, and childcare and family services. Virginians can access resources within their local area by dialing 2-1-1, texting “Connect” to 247211, or by visiting 211virginia.org.


Blocks spelling CARE

Child Care Subsidy Program

The Child Care Subsidy Program assists families in paying child care costs for children under age 13 who are not eligible to attend public school during the part of the day when public education is available, or children with special needs under age 18 who reside with the applicant. If you are eligible and are approved for services, the Subsidy Program can pay a portion of your child care costs directly to the child care provider.

Click here to view the Child Care Subsidy flyer. Apply online or screen for eligibility through CommonHelp or contact your local department of social services.

Hands holding paper cut out of family

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)

The TANF program provides eligible families with a monthly cash payment to meet their basic needs. For a child to be eligible he must be:

  • Under age 18, or if 18, will graduate from high school before age 19
  • Going to school regularly if he is between the ages of five and 18
  • Living with a parent or other relative
  • A U.S. citizen or an eligible immigrant

Apply online using Commonhelp
or call: Enterprise Customer Service Center at (855) 635 - 4370


Computer monitor in grocery store with SNAP on it

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) is a federal program that provides nutritional assistance to eligible individuals and families. SNAP provides a monthly benefit to households through an Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) card to supplement the purchase of nutritious foods. Temporary SNAP assistance is also available for some college students.

Eligibility for SNAP benefits is based on financial and nonfinancial criteria. To determine eligibility and/or apply for SNAP benefits online, visit CommonHelp or contact your local department of social services.


Piggy Bank

Energy Assistance

Applications for help with your heating and cooling bills or equipment needs are accepted online (at commonhelp.virginia.gov/access/), by calling the Enterprise Customer Service Center at (855) 635 - 4370, and at your local department of social services. Additional program information is available here.


Medical Assitance

Medical Assistance

Virginia offers several medical assistance programs to provide health coverage for eligible individuals, to include pregnant women, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) recipients, children under the age of 19, and adults aged 65 or older, blind or disabled. Eligibility requirements vary, and financial and non-financial criteria must be met. To apply or learn more, visit CommonHelp. A Medicaid/ Family Access to Medical Insurance Security (FAMIS) Application Assistance tool is also available to provide additional application assistance.



Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP)

The Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP) works to improve the health of low-income persons at least 60 years of age by supplementing their diets with nutritious USDA Foods. USDA distributes both food and administrative funds to participating states and Indian Tribal Organizations to operate CSFP.

Call your local Food Bank to participate in the program.
Visit www.feedingamerica.org/find-your-local-foodbank


Baby drinking milk from a bottle

Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)

The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) provides federal grants to states for supplemental foods, health care referrals, and nutrition education for low-income pregnant, breastfeeding, and non-breastfeeding postpartum women, and to infants and children up to age five who are found to be at nutritional risk.

Apply online www.myvawic.org/
For More Information, call 877-835-5942


Children eating lunch at school

Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer (P-EBT)

Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer (P-EBT) is part of the Federal government’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Through P-EBT, eligible school children receive temporary emergency nutrition benefits loaded on P-EBT or EBT cards that are used to purchase food.

To be eligible for P-EBT benefits, students must qualify for free or reduced-price school meals under the National School Lunch Program and their school must meet other eligibility factors. For more information, visit PebtVA.com.


View PDF of this guide